Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Long of the Short of It

Chase has been growing his hair out for a year. I hated it. I am all about children expressing themselves. Really, I am.  He has pierced ears, he wears those big colorful Nike shoes and skater clothes. That's fine if he could just look neat. His hair is thick and poker straight and the "long do" on him make him look like a little Amish punk.

I have begged him to get it cut. I have promised him he could have a day off from school, a trip to New York City, and I'm pretty sure once Marc offered him five hundred dollars to please look like a child with parents who care.

But no. No cutting of the hair. I really think that his hair became something to hide behind for the past year or so. My husband and I are going through a divorce. And the thing is, no matter how friendly your divorce is, it is still very stressful for everyone involved. I think his hair was a little barrier, a shield if you will, between him and the world. As long as he kept it growing we could concentrate on that and not what was really going on.
We are at the point now that my husband and I are best friends again. My kids see this. It makes all the difference in the world. They see we are happy and they are happy. Of course, like all children, they probably wish their parents were still living together but all they really want is for us to be happy. We are. So in turn, so are they.

Over the weekend while I was away, Chase got a buzz cut. Marc txtd me the pictures of him. He looks so good. I came home from California on Sunday night and walked in my house to my freshly hair cutted son and almost started to cry. For the first time in over a year I could see his very handsome face so clearly. I missed that face. He is so good looking.

Now his girlfriend wants to kiss him over Spring break. Seriously. And he thinks he might do it. I'm going to start looking into vacation plans to get him the hell out of here. Or call that girls mother and tell on her. Or, or, or, ground him for something. God knows he probably deserves it. What else can I do to control his life? I want full control. That won't ruin him at all.

I don't want him to kiss her. I want him to be my baby and watch Desperate Housewives with me, and play cards, and read books, and stop thinking about kissing his dumb girlfriend.

My Mom would tell me to put a brick on his head to stop him from growing.
I need a couple.

5 comments:

  1. Wait! You are married?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, it hasn't been quite a year. And why do I know this? Because Chaise and I were coerced/tricked/chided into a hair-cutting "situation" in August of 2009. I had to offer the poor child ice cream all day the next day just to get him to speak to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you, Amy. Once boys, straight ones anyway, discover girls, they become obsessed. I thought Chase was a little young for that, but perhaps things have changed a bit since we were kids. Life marches forward regardless of how much we sometimes want things to stay the way they are. For the last year and half, Chase was asked to accept a life change he didn't want, and it appears he's about to return the favor. Just promise me you won't do strange things with your hair, like get a buzz cut or shave it off, a la Britney. I promise, things will be fine. He'll always be your little boy, and you'll always be his Mom. However much they stray, boys always love and need their Moms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But see, here's the thing, Chase is you when you were his age. Your hair was long and tangled like a rat's nest, with hidden bubble gum and God knows what else all snaggled up in it. And I would scold, beg, plead with you to let me at least try to brush it out and get it out of your eyes for 5 minutes and you would screech and cry and run away. I would tell you you looked like an orphan that nobody cared about. Did no good at all. So, divorce or no divorce, the chickens have come home to roost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love you, dear. I love to watch you with your children because you are such a great mother. This warmed my heart.

    ReplyDelete