Thursday, March 4, 2010

My Little Angel

I take Chase to my trainer. My trainer. The trainer I don't use right now but let my precious son go in my place. The issue is that Chase has this thing about his shoe size. He likes to tell me it's a size 8. Yeah, and I'm 29 and 6 ft tall. I will say that I believe Marc indulges this fantasy shoe size at times in order to avoid Chase's disgruntlement. It's fine. If he wants to walk around in clown shoes, have at it. I just can't bring him to my gym, to my trainer with shoes three sizes to big. Besides it being unsafe to work out like that, it borders on ridiculous and makes me look like a slacker Mother. I like to keep that under wraps.

Yesterday we went to the mall to get him running shoes before his training session. Of course in typical Chase fashion he chose the $150 mens running shoes. I told him when he started running with me everyday I would buy him those in a second, at this time, while I am still begging him to get the hell off the couch after school we are going to have to go with the hundred dollar pair. Mean Mommy.

The shoe guy comes over and measures his feet. Tension is building. Shoe guy has no idea.
"Oh, he's a kids size 5. Those shoes won't work," said shoe guy who coincidentally has the name as my son. Well kinda, in his case Chase is short for Charles he told me, but I guess that's really neither here nor there.
Chase is angry at me because his feet are a size 5. Clearly that is my fault.
"I'll just wear the shoes I have on," he mutters.
"Yeah, no. Dave told me not to bring you in those, Honey, sweet precious angel that I love so much. You have to wear running shoes."
"Let's see what we have in the kids section," says Chase/Charles.
Steam comes out of my Chase's ears.
I've had enough at this point.
We buy a pair of shoes that he hates but that actually fit him. I'm feeling nervous.

When we get to the car he gets in the back seat. This is a power play to let me know how angry he is. I ignore it and txt Marc, "Chase hates that I made him get shoes his size." Marc tells me he will talk to him about it later. I come to find out that at the exact same time as my txt was going through that Chase was txting Marc telling him that I was going to ruin his feet because I was making him wear Ben's (Lisa's youngest son) shoes to work out in.

Little liar.

Precious angel. I love him so much. Kids are fun.

3 comments:

  1. Spending only $100 on shoes for a kid that grows like a weed is akin to child abuse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get Chase. After all, I have been educated (beaten over the head) in the fact that wearing correct fitting soccer cleats "plastered with pink all over it" (one thread of stitching at the top) is clearly more detrimental to one's game than cramming one's foot into cool looking (neon pinkish-orange) cleats.

    PS. Blog artwork a tribute to Alice in Wonderland? Like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it's been a while since i was a kid... but I don't get the deal with the shoe size??????

    ReplyDelete